For years Indian Americans were stereotyped as convenience-store owners and overachieving children.
Now, they are in a position of influence in American politics, media, entertainment and the arts.
This year, a record 80 Indian-American candidates are running for federal, state and local offices across the US.
– Dr. Prasad Srinivasan – Running for Governor
– Aftab Pureval – Running for Congress
– Ram Villivalam – Running for State Senate
In Media, these Indian Americans are making waves:
– Radhika Jones – New Editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair
– Nisha Desai Biswal – Head of USIBC
And, in Entertainment:
– Aziz Ansari
– Hasan Minhaj
– Mindy Kaling
All have their own shows, are directors, actors, and filmmakers.
Other Indian-Americans include Nikki Haley, the first of cabinet rank.
Indian Americans are no longer a small but a growing influence in the US.